Pages

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Don Estes


Last Thursday we went to Don Estes’ studio to talk to him about his art and how he makes money at it. I found the visit somewhat frustrating in that there was again the sort of “it just happened”/ “right place at the right time” answer as far as monetary success through his art. He didn’t really give us much new information about the gallery process and had very little experience with residencies.
I found his work very interesting and the ways in which he talked about it even more interesting. I felt it was very smart of him to talk of his abstractions in the context of landscape-based work. His paintings were very interesting and showed a progression of ideas. I was impressed with the ways he talked about starting projects and working through ideas.
His studio space seemed very nice. I was pretty damned envious. Unfortunately, the whole story of his career seemed very tailored (not unreasonably) to him. It just didn’t seem very applicable to my life as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment